Events Assistant - Butterfly House
This position is responsible for assisting in the facilitation of the Butterfly House Special Events, notably hosting birthday parties, weddings, public events, and corporate rentals. This position will work closely with Butterfly House staff, vendors, clients, various Garden divisions, event volunteers, and special event interns ensuring smooth ongoing events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Event Coordinator, will assist in the setup and facilitation of private and public events.
- Facilitate activities for children’s birthday parties (children ages 8 and younger)
- Setup and breakdown of tables, chairs and décor.
- Will interface with event clients, vendors, Garden staff, volunteers and special interns.
- Assist with other project and event related tasks as needed by the Butterfly House staff.
- Behaves and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation, within our division and throughout the Garden, with co-workers, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors and employees.
- Assist with the audio and visual needs of events, as needed.
- Processes cash, check and credit card transactions including event payments, admissions, new or renewing membership, and educational programs.
- Assist with private event client tours and phone inquiries.
- Provide guests with information at the entrance and exit of the Conservatory, as needed.
- Assist with opening and closing duties.
- Behaves & communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork, cooperation, and respect within our division and throughout the Garden with all employees, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors and others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communication: Combines listening skills, verbal and written communication skills and visitor relation skills.
- Collaboration: Incorporates teamwork, mutual respect, active engagement, cooperation and visitor focus.
- Accountability: Initiative to take ownership of responsibilities, the ability to prioritize and the working knowledge and skills to take action.
- Problem Solving: Blends problem solving skills, judgement and decision making skills along with creativity and resourcefulness.
- Stewardship: Merges the practical application of the Garden values and support for a positive organizational climate.
- Minimum of (1) years' relative experience assisting with public or private events.
- Previous guest relations/customer service and volunteer experience; ability to effectively manage and foster professional working relationships
- Teaching and/or facilitation of activities for young children.
- Knowledge and/or willingness to learn about sustainability issues, practices, products and services.
- Highly visitor-oriented and experience working with the public required.
- Must be a self-starter, creative, flexible, and possess the ability to effectively multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal team members and external organizations for the purposes of creating a commitment to common goals, prioritizing, minimizing obstacles, and executing realistic priorities in a sophisticated environment.
- Environment is fast-paced and change is constant; individual must demonstrate highest level of professional and ethical conduct, maintain confidentiality; and possess the ability to remain calm and in control throughout all phases of the event management cycle is required.
- Scheduling flexibility that allows working weekends, evenings, and holidays is required.
- Exceptional ability to communicate effectively at all levels; must enjoy and feel comfortable interacting and working in close proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions.
- Ability to be comfortable working with and/or handling a variety of invertebrates, including butterflies, cockroaches and arachnids.
- Working knowledge of audio/visual needs.
- The Garden is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our employees, volunteers and guests. All staff are strongly encouraged to receive COVID-19 vaccinations by hire date, and the Garden reserves the right to require future proof of current vaccination status, based on community health department guidelines. When international travel is necessary for Garden business, staff must be able to obtain visas, vaccinations and immunizations for all countries where travel is required.
- The requirements and duties listed are representative and not exhaustive of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
- Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Excel, Word,)
Other Skills and Abilities: None.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (verbal and written).
Mathematical Skills: N/A
- Requires ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Willingness to obtain and maintain CPR/First Aid certification.
- Ability to lift 30-60 lbs. (i.e.: load, unload and move supplies and equipment, set up and teardown of table, chairs and exhibits)
- May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e.: use step stools, climb ladders, etc.)
- Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching for extended periods of time – 75% or more of the workday many be standing on feet.
- Requires speaking and interaction with people.
- Ability and willingness to work in varying temperatures and all weather conditions, in both daylight and evening hours.
- Ability to utilize computer keyboard (typing).
- Comfortable working in immediate proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering general questions regarding the Butterfly House and MBG’s operations, events, facilities, etc. and elementary questions regarding butterflies and other insects.
- Comfortable working with invertebrates (including insects, arachnids, and arthropods).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Indoor open office setting, shared by multiple staff.
- May be require working indoors and outdoors throughout the day in all seasons – (i.e.: in temperatures over 100 degrees F, as well as temperatures below 0 degrees F, in rain, snow and other inclement weather conditions as needed).
- Comfortable assisting with large visitor crowds.
- Conservatory temperatures of 100 degrees F or more, very humid conditions.
- Adhere to all dress codes, including closed-toed shoes.
Contacts with Individuals/Organizations inside/outside the Garden:
- Interacts with visitors, volunteers, members, and Garden employees on a daily basis in person and via telephone.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Butterfly House, 15050 Faust Park, Chesterfield, Missouri, United States of America