Senior Research Specialist- Safety & Security
Support project and other corporate needs including through (1) collecting, processing, vetting, and analyzing pertinent data for further use and/or (2) conducting technical assistance activities such as planning and organizing meetings and seminars, and/or (3) supporting the process of developing and submitting proposals through collecting and organizing resumes, past performance reports, and corporate capabilities. Act as primary data collector and provide substantive inputs into CNA studies and proposals, including project planning and coordination, preparation of reports, memoranda, newsletter articles, and quality reviews.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Apply standard research methodologies to gather, process, and analyze data. Use relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports. Demonstrate facility at the intermediate level with Microsoft Office and other standard CNA software packages to accomplish primary duties. Structure such project tasks as literature reviews, environmental scans and interviews. Take responsibility for drafting the corresponding sections of reports. Begin to structure problems of moderate scope and design research, technical assistance or proposal development tasks. Ability to construct briefings using MS PowerPoint and intermediate to advanced skills with MS Word and Excel and other standard software packages.
2. Develop a basic familiarity with the missions and organizational structure of the division or team's major client/sponsors. Develop institutional knowledge of at least one primary client/sponsor. Identify key personalities in their organization, and have some sense of the client/sponsor’s relative importance to CNA.
3. Participate in meetings with project team. Support preparation for client/sponsor interactions. Identify client/sponsor POC for their projects. Maintain awareness of major communication between the project team and client/sponsor POC for any project for which they are involved. As needed, contribute in meetings with client/sponsor and project team.
4. Develop a sufficient understanding or expertise on specific tasks, issues or data so as to make a positive contribution to project outcomes.
5. Develop basic knowledge about CNA, its organization, key personnel and personalities, and relevant CNA standard operating procedures (SOPs), to include basic knowledge of CNA business environment. Understand the concepts of core, above core, and above ceiling/ domestic. Have basic awareness of the project development process. Develop fluency in the CNA business environment and SOPs including the procedures for initiating and closing projects, hiring subcontractors and consultants, and monitoring revenue and costs and other project related activities. Capable of contributing to most financial discussions at the project level.
6. Possess the skills necessary to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in oral and written communication. Present and summarize data effectively. Draft sections of reports, briefings, or other project deliverables in accordance with requirements and scholarly norms (if applicable).
7. Work more independently on focused, well-structured pieces of projects, and estimate how much time and resources they will need as they embark on these tasks. Work under close supervision on broader strands of the project. Track personal project spending. Begin to understand project budgeting and financial tracking over the project lifecycle.
8. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Take responsibility for own actions and outcomes. Be proactive in seeking ways to improve processes and operations and in making CNA a better place.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree plus at least 2 years of experience with a designated technical skill (research, programming, foreign languages, event planning, etc.) or a Master’s degree.
2. Experience: Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience required.
3. Skills: Microsoft Office; database management; good interpersonal and oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking and organizational skills; knowledge of research techniques.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Pay Type Salary
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America