Principal Research Scientist - Navy Human Resources Program
CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America
Friday, October 7, 2022
CNA is a not-for-profit research and analysis corporation running two major business units, CNA, the Department of the Navy’s Federally Funded R&D Center (FFRDC), and the Institute for Public Research, which provides analytic support to non-DOD government sponsors. RFR is a division within the FFRDC. Our primary clients are the Navy and Marine Corps. We also support OSD and other components of DOD. As our name implies, RFR focuses on a full range of resource issues. Six programs within RFR address problems in manpower, personnel, training and education; energy, infrastructure and the environment; cost, acquisition processes, material and supply readiness and logistics; and health analytics and medical readiness.CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches. We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
Is a recognized expert in specific fields/research areas and has demonstrated leadership skills. Typically lead projects addressing complex issues that may be large in size, and will have clear accountabilities for business development
and for managing, growing, and enhancing client/sponsor relationships. Operate as a senior researcher at CNA in fields of Navy human resource management, including manpower, personnel, training, and education issues. This opening is for a position in CNA’s Navy Human Resources research program.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Work independently and effectively on a wide range of non-traditional analytic problems that are of increasing complexity, and increasing visibility & significance to our sponsors/clients. Routinely take the lead in supporting the work and development of other staff either individually or as a member of a project team. Consistently produce the highest quality analysis.
2. Operate as a recognized expert in a specific field/research area within CNA; leverage that expertise to enhance CNA's reputation with existing clients/sponsors. Develop and maintain deep, specific institutional knowledge and expertise of new and existing clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues. Apply that knowledge and expertise to lead development and shaping of new work for both existing & new sets of clients/sponsors.
Treat everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Lead collaboration
efforts. Contribute to development of supervisor's vision and proactively
takes actions to realize that vision. Take a business unit and corporate
perspective; support corporate initiatives. Recognize and acknowledge
contributions from subordinates.
4. Have independent responsibility to pursue business development opportunities
and develop new clients/sponsors. Use network of clients/contacts to
develop and sustain sponsor base, and develop new networks of clients/sponsors.
Write competitive proposals and provide major support in marketing one or more
5. Shape/influence how our sponsors/clients think about issues. Deliver fundamental change. Play a lead role in enhancing CNA's reputation as an organization. Play a lead role in efforts to enhance CNA's reputation via publishing and outreach activities.
6. Communicate complex analytic results in a clear and concise fashion to sponsors/clients at all levels, and to audiences of all sizes. Summarize and synthesize large bodies of work down to the essential elements and convey those results effectively and efficiently, in both written and oral form, to the most senior leaders in client organizations. Effectively communicate with and engage colleagues at all levels of the organization.
7. Work independently under limited supervision from division management. Lead our largest and/or most complex and significant projects or multiple projects simultaneously. Take responsibility for making connections and integrating work across teams and divisions.
8. Effectively distribute responsibilities to the appropriate people and levels. Serve as a role model/mentor for other staff regularly in the home division and occasionally in other divisions. Develop internal and external networks of contacts and have a positive influence on those networks. Play an active role in supporting corporate initiatives, and support senior leadership initiatives to realize CNA's goals and vision.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, PhD preferred. Relevant field include but are not limited to economics, operations research, industrial/organizational psychology, and applied statistics
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements 15+ years of experience in research and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to apply leading-edge principles, theories, and concepts to solve the most complex problems of critical importance to clients;
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop solutions, to formulate problem statements conducive to application of analytical methods, and to develop analysis methods and approaches;
- Demonstrated ability to work in an unstructured environment;
- Demonstrated ability to identify, evaluate, and propose original and practicable methods of resolving complex problems;
- Demonstrated ability to supervise program and project operations by developing procedures, planning and directing all aspects of the effort, and monitoring and reporting progress;
- Demonstrated ability in managing projects, contracts, funds, and resources; ability to conceptualize, develop,
and manage execution of a portfolio of projects in support of multiple client organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to interact, communicate, and advise at senior levels in government and the parent corporation;
- Widely considered expert in a broad scope of applications and uses of analytic methods;
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written;
- Experience in packaging analytic results in report format as well as in development and presentation of oral
- Ability to maintain contacts with and interact with members of the military (primarily Navy) manpower and personnel community, and develop research studies to support that community
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance.
Please provide a cover letter and a writing sample with your application.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters here: "EEO is the Law" Poster
; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement
. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
. To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Career Path I - Research