Surface Warfare Program - Research Program Director
Research Program Director
Responsible for oversight and management of CNA’s Surface Warfare Program, to include: production of analytic products that meet CNA quality standards; development and maintenance of relationships with program sponsor base; management and professional development of program staff; and development and sustainment of a stable funding base to support program research. This leadership role carries with it personal and corporate responsibility to build and sustain a respectful workplace.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Assist the Research Division Vice President in developing the
division research plan, allocating personnel and resources to execute the plan,
and managing the plan to meet all assigned financial and execution
2. Provide guidance and support to project directors.
3. Support corporate, division, and program (if applicable) goals for business development by developing a stable funding base to support program research and supporting the business development efforts of other research program directors across the FFRDC.
4. Develop and maintain strong, trust-based relationships with program sponsors. Demonstrate through program products and personal interactions that we are committed to their success. Maintain and cultivate these relationships over time and throughout their career. Facilitate the formation of new relationships elsewhere in the FFRDC as appropriate and relevant to the evolution of their career path and command postings.
5. Conduct analysis and research
6. Create and foster a collaborative work environment.
7. Exercise oversight of assigned projects to ensure they meet CNA’s quality standards.
8. Support division and business unit recruiting and retention efforts to develop and maintain a high-quality, diverse workforce.
9. Guide and assist assigned program staff with their professional development.
10. Provide the primary formal performance evaluation of assigned program staff.
11. Exercise oversight of work conducted by any assigned field reps.
12. Develop staffing pipelines for any assigned field billets and support the field slating process.
13. Perform other duties as assigned by the Research Division Vice President.
1. Education: Advanced degree in
physical sciences, engineering, operations research, mathematics, or related
2. Experience: 8 to 10 years’ experience in research and analysis. Prior experience as a study director on major projects for sponsors. Significant experience or expertise in a scientific or policy area relevant to sponsor needs and CNA programs. Field experience desirable. Strong working relationships with senior leadership at ASN, RDA; NAVSEA; N96; warfare development centers; and fleet commands that plan and execute surface warfare programs.
3. Skills: Ability to oversee completion of multiple research projects in the diverse fields of systems development and testing, tactics development and testing, and force development ; conduct independent research and direct research of individual analysts and program projects; perform quality assurance reviews of projects and ensure they are completed on time and within budget; assemble and present complex analyses and communicate effectively to clients; understand and objectively critique research being carried out; understand client's needs and integrate those needs into CNA's ongoing research program; and prepare objective, constructive performance evaluations for assigned staff. Ability to participate in or conduct research efforts that complement analyses being conducted in other divisions and programs across the FFRDC.
4. Must have ability to obtain and maintain security clearance.
Please include a cover letter as part of your application. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- Pay Type Salary
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America