Research Analyst (Data Scientist II) - Data Science Division
CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America
Monday, September 12, 2022
The Data Science Division (DSD) is part of the Center for Naval Analyses. The mission of the DSD is to develop innovative, cutting-edge analytics that are relevant, impactful, and actionable.
The DSD provides data science expertise and support to the Department of the Navy and Department of Defense. The division collaborates with our sponsors to transform their operations by making data and analytics an integral part of their decision-making. As part of the Navy’s only dedicated FFRDC, we use our analytic skills and our knowledge of naval operations to help create a competitive advantage for the Navy. That advantage has never been more critical than it is today, with great power competition challenging the Navy in several concurrent theaters and across all warfighting domains.
The division has full time and part time analysts with advanced degrees in data science, operations research, statistics, economics, computer science, physics, mathematics, engineering, chemistry, and other technical disciplines. The Data Science Division has a large set of core technical competencies, including:
Developing supervised and unsupervised machine learning models, such as artificial neural networks, random forests, and clustering, to predict outcomes and assist decision-makers
Leveraging high performance computing to obtain insights from big data
Developing custom analytical simulations using techniques such as continuous time, discrete event, and Monte Carlo approaches to approximate existing systems to quantify the effects of changes to improve those systems
Building and deploying dashboards and dynamic decision support tools in the Navy’s cloud environments
Identifying optimal solutions using mathematical programming techniques such as mixed integer programming, network analysis, and linear/non-linear programming.
Leading and facilitating human centered design workshops to ensure data-driven solutions meet stakeholder requirements and preferences
The DSD develops models and analytics to support Navy problems across all Navy domains, including aviation, surface warfare, undersea warfare, cyber, logistics, readiness, force generation, sustainment, acquisition, and cost modeling. DSD analysts support decision-makers by identifying key drivers of both successful and poor performance to improve Navy and Marine Corps outcomes. The division currently supports the Navy’s Performance-to-Plan forum, which provides senior Navy leadership forward‑looking performance forecasts, which are foundational to articulating Navy progress toward readiness and capability goals. Projects generally involve large datasets and complex questions that demand advanced coding skills as well as statistical and modelling techniques. The division leverages agile project management techniques to support faster cycle times to insights and to develop analytic minimum viable products.
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
Staff at this level will be leading smaller/less complex activities or will be serving as an important contributing team member on projects. Demonstrates analytical competence.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. With minimal or no guidance, meets CNA’s quality standards when working on well-structured pieces of a project. Demonstrates ability to develop sound analytic frameworks and associated analytic methodologies/ techniques for addressing both structured and unstructured problems. With direction and supervision, clearly defines, structures, and executes a piece of a complex study to meet quality standards. Demonstrates analytic creativity and curiosity.
2. Develops and maintains broad, general institutional knowledge of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues.
3. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Keeps others informed. Proactively identifies and seeks out others working on similar topics. Works to identify opportunities for collaborations within team, division, and operating unit.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by maintaining strong client relationships through high quality work, increasing the visibility of our work, and other related activities such as proposal preparation.
5. Interacts with sponsors/clients under the supervision of an experienced colleague, and with study POCs independently.
6. Makes significant contributions to research publications and analytic products for individual projects.
7. Demonstrates ability to communicate results of work in a clear and concise fashion. Effectively communicates one-on-one and in groups. Can document work efficiently and accurately. Can effectively present work to colleagues, sponsors, and small audiences that are familiar with content.
8. Works with minimal or no guidance on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Works under closer supervision on more complex, less-structured tasks. Can serve as task lead for pieces of projects by managing own activities. May lead small projects under the supervision of an RTL/CMD.
9. Exhibits a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and clients/sponsors. Provides clear guidance to colleagues on tasks. Takes responsibility for own actions and outcomes.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in Data Science, Programming, Statistic relevant field or relevant field, PhD preferred.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements Ph.D. & 0+ years or Master’s & 2+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Ability to make significant contributions to projects/analyses; Strong analytic curiosity/ creativity; Ability to operate independently in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact positively and somewhat independently with clients. Must have machine learning, coding (R or python), predictive analytics skills.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance.
1. Cover Letter - Please include a cover letter as part of your application to be considered for this position. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job
2. Transcripts - Please include your transcripts as part of your application to be considered
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application.
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters here: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
. To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
Career Path I - Research