Principal Research Scientist - Energy Infrastructure & Environment team
Is a recognized expert in specific fields/research areas and has demonstrated leadership skills. Typically lead projects addressing complex issues that may be large in size, and will have clear accountabilities for business development and for managing, growing, and enhancing client/sponsor relationships. Operate as a senior researcher at CNA in fields of DoD infrastructure, as well as DoD energy, and DoD environmental issues. This opening is for a position in CNA’s Energy, Installations, and Environment research program.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Work independently and effectively on a wide range of non-traditional analytic problems that are of increasing complexity, and increasing visibility & significance to our sponsors/clients. Routinely take the lead in supporting the work and development of other staff either individually or as a member of a project team. Consistently produce the highest quality analysis.
2. Operate as a recognized expert in a specific field/research area within CNA; leverage that expertise to enhance CNA's reputation with existing clients/sponsors. Develop and maintain deep, specific institutional knowledge and expertise of new and existing clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues. Apply that knowledge and expertise to lead development and shaping of new work for both existing & new sets of clients/sponsors.
3. Treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Leads collaboration efforts. Contributes to development of supervisor's vision and proactively takes actions to realize that vision. Takes a business unit and corporate perspective; supports corporate initiatives. Recognizes and acknowledges contributions from subordinates.
4. Has independent responsibility to pursue business development opportunities and develop new clients/sponsors. Uses network of clients/contacts to develop and sustain sponsor base, and develop new networks of clients/sponsors. Writes competitive proposals and provides major support in marketing one or more areas.
5. Shape/influence how our sponsors/clients think about issues. Deliver fundamental change. Play a lead role in enhancing CNA's reputation as an organization. Play a lead role in efforts to enhance CNA's reputation via publishing and outreach activities.
6. Communicate complex analytic results in a clear and concise fashion to sponsors/clients at all levels, and to audiences of all sizes. Summarize and synthesize large bodies of work down to the essential elements and convey those results effectively and efficiently, in both written and oral form, to the most senior leaders in client organizations. Effectively communicate with & engage colleagues at all levels of the organization.
7. Work independently under limited supervision from division management. Lead our largest and/or most complex and significant projects or multiple projects simultaneously. Take responsibility for making connections and integrating work across teams and divisions.
8. Effectively distribute responsibilities to the appropriate people and levels. Serve as a role model/mentor for other staff regularly in the home division and occasionally in other divisions. Develop internal and external networks of contacts and have a positive influence on those networks. Play an active role in supporting corporate initiatives, and support senior leadership initiatives to realize CNA's goals and vision.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, PhD preferred. Relevant field include but are not limited to physics, civil engineering, operations research, mathematics/statistics, economics, and ocean sciences
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements 15+ years of experience in research and analysis. Experience with Navy shore/infrastructure community strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply leading-edge principles, theories, and concepts to solve the most complex problems of critical importance to clients;
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop solutions, to formulate problem statements conducive to application of analytical methods, and to develop analysis methods and approaches;
- Ability to work in an unstructured environment;
- Demonstrated ability to identify, evaluate, and propose original and practicable methods of resolving complex problems;
- Demonstrated ability to supervise program and project operations by developing procedures, planning and directing all aspects of the effort, and monitoring and reporting progress;
- Demonstrated ability in managing projects, contracts, funds, and resources; ability to conceptualize, develop, and manage execution of a portfolio of projects in support of multiple client organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to interact, communicate, and advise at senior levels in government and the parent corporation;
- Widely considered expert in a broad scope of applications and uses of analytic methods;
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written; experience in packaging analytic results in report format as well as in development and presentation of oral briefings.
- Ability to maintain contacts with and interact with members of the military (primarily Navy) shore community, and develop research studies to support that community.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance
Please include a cover letter as part of your application. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America