Senior Database Architect - UAS/Drone First Responder Program
ABOUT THE POSITION
At CNA, we are a leader in Uncrewed Aircraft Systems (UAS) research and analysis for the public good.
We apply forward-thinking strategies and expertise to support government agencies such as National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to advance their UAS missions. Our team plays a vital role in the success of first responders in their UAS operations, training, and data management in the federal, state, and local public safety departments.
This role will develop and support implementation of a robust and flexible data architecture concept to support UAS training and certification for first responders. CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) management process
This position provides technical expertise leading and supporting multiple client projects requiring cloud database architecture design. Works with clients and staff to design and implement database solutions in support of client business needs or research studies. Provides advice to clients and staff to develop technical solutions to complex problems.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES1. Database Architecture Design: Designs, models, documents, and guides the logical and conceptual relationship of data and database changes for complex applications. Analyzes needs and requirements of existing and proposed systems, and develops technical, structural, and organizational specifications. May create standards and/or do modeling to monitor and enhance capacity and performance. Communicates with technical, applications, and operational staff, in order to design an optimal database architecture (performance, accessibility, security, reporting, backup, and recovery plan). Analyzes and makes recommendations for improvements to existing software regarding database performance, stability, usability and scalability. Performs logical and physical data modeling, designs relational database models and creates physical data models from logical data models. Designs database servers and interfaces to improve database and application performance. Deploys, configures, monitors, and maintains databases in production, development, and quality assurance environments.
2. Cloud Integration: Designs, creates, maintains, and upgrades database architectures based on system requirements in a cloud environment; Applies understanding of cloud based architectures; Applies understanding of AWS-based architecture and Microsoft Azure based architecture and applications
3. Documentation: Manages database dictionaries, overall monitoring of standards and procedures, file design and storage, and integration of applications through database design. Develops and adheres to engineering and administration standards. Develops systems engineering documentation – requirements, data models, integration plans, design and architectures.
4. Project Management: Leads technical project work. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment. Works with managers, other team members and end-users to determine project goals and direction. Monitors and reports on tasks throughout the project. Guides and reviews other project work when necessary.
5. Technical currency: Considered an emerging authority, who applies extensive technical expertise. Keeps current with new technology, and complies with standards, procedures and system policies. Develops technical solutions to complex problems. Conducts research, as required, into current and emerging database and cloud technologies and applications in support of database architecture efforts.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
2. Experience: Minimum 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree or minimum 6 years of experience with a Master’s degree. AWS solutions architect and/or Azure solutions architect associate certification preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with databases such as MS SQL Server, Postgres, Oracle, Access, and/or Windows servers;
- Knowledge and experience in web information architecture, programing, and cloud migration;
- Knowledge of and experience with relational database management and administration such as MS SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL;
- Experience with at least one of the public cloud providers like AWS, Google Cloud Services, or Microsoft Azure;
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of all aspects of Database Engines (Managed Instances, Data Warehouse) including administration;
- Experience in programming; experience in Software Development Lifecycle including requirements collecting and analysis, design, development, testing, implementing and deploying, and maintaining applications;
- Experience with user interfaces, test strategies, test cases and test plans; ability to evaluate, install, and customize components for software plug-ins and add-ons or software extensions.
Project Management skills:
- Ability to work collaboratively with other team members in a cross-collaborative environment, and to lead a technical team on complex projects producing quality work;
- Strong interpersonal skills for interfacing with client representatives, internal customers, and vendor representatives;
- Ability to proactively identify technical and project risks and mitigations; good organization skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to write clear technical documentation and provide training.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well both independently and as a part of a team; excellent customer service skills and attitude;
- Willingness to work and stay current with new technologies and work overtime when required; good oral and written communications skills.
5. Remote/Hybrid Work Eligibility: This position is eligible for telecommuting or hybrid work arrangements at the discretion of the Supervisor. Employees may be required to work at CNA headquarters or other work locations resulting in changes to the scheduled telecommuting or hybrid work arrangements.
***Optional (but highly desired) document***
1. Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
- Job Family Technical
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Employment Indicator (none)
- 800 Maine Ave SW, Washington, DC 20024, USA