Manager, Content/Enterprise & Investigations Editor
Enterprise & Investigations Editor
The Cincinnati Enquirer/cincinnati.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an inquisitive and experienced editor to lead major enterprise and investigations.
The Enquirer prioritizes journalism with impact, through watchdog and accountability reporting, and this role is essential to those efforts.
The Enterprise & Investigations Editor is a senior position in our newsroom, leading a team of reporters on enterprise-rich beats as well as working on data and investigations across the newsroom and other Gannett news organizations in Ohio. Because of that, creativity, resourcefulness, flexibility and a penchant for collaboration are key attributes for the person who will fill this position.
The ideal candidate has a background in public service journalism and extensive experience with data analysis, records requests, source development and media law. As part of the Enquirer’s leadership team, you will support key strategic audience and subscriber growth initiatives.
- Lead, coach and edit a team of reporters who produce both quick-turn accountability and explanatory stories and longer-term narratives and investigations.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on other teams to develop and execute investigations and data-driven stories.
- Identify investigative and enterprising angles on daily news stories.
- Advocate use of data and public records among peers and put in place systems to foster such use.
- Use analytics to pinpoint stories of high interest to our various audiences.
- Prioritize and develop content that supports The Enquirer’s digital subscription growth efforts.
- Stay on top of new tools and trends in data reporting.
- Foster a culture of teamwork and prioritizing work-life balance.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- 10 years journalism experience, with 5 years editing experience preferred Solid news judgment.
- Attention to detail and a fierce commitment to accuracy and fairness.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social-media and SEO.
- Command of AP Style, media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Cincinnati, OH, USA
- Ohio, USA